Rimba Orangutan eco Lodge is perched on the edge of the Sekonyer River, surrounded by forest. Access is only by boat (klotok) two hours from the Port of Kumai. The timber Lodge is built in a series of adjoining elevated pavilions.
Five pavilions contain 3 rooms and have their own covered verandah and boardwalk to the river’s edge. There are 20 more rooms in one large pavilion at one side off the lodge. All 35 rooms have air conditioning, fans and hot water. The front rooms are currently of two types Diamond (3) and Emerald (12). The 20 other rooms are Amethyst. Cheaper options in rooms are available on request eg no air conditioning. Walkways also join the restaurant, reception and lounge and office.
The Lodge is just a few minutes by boat from the orangutan feeding station at Tandjung Harapan and is mid way upstream to Camp Leakey. A resident troop of macaques are often seen around the Lodge and Proboscis monkeys are also often visible across the river.
We have just signed a large contract with Solar Power Indonesia in an attempt to use the sun to power all the lodge. This should be completed in 2015. We hope this will greatly increase our service to clients with 24 hour power resulting in increased comfort for both guests and staff.
This is a Lodge that feels truly remote.
We provide clean, comfortable accommodation extremely suitable to the environment in which it is located;
- 35 rooms – (3 Diamond, 12 Emerald, 20 Amethyst)
- Satellite Internet
- Mosquito nets and repellent
- All rooms have AC and Hot Water
- Excellent meals in the restaurant
- Drinks in the Lounge (no alcohol permitted by local government)
- All transport organized (extra cost)
- Tours and local guides for all activities including bird watching
- Double or twin beds
- Western shower and toilets
- Fans in all rooms
- Packed picnic lunches
- Friendly staff to serve you
- A percentage of our profit goes to Conservation projects eg planting new trees in the park to replace those burnt in the devastating fires of 2015
- All clients of our travel company Eco Safari Indonesia pay US$ 10 each into the company Conservation fund
Eco Friendly / Eco Certification
At Ecolodges Indonesia each of our lodges is dedicated to educating and empowering local communities in long term conservation and sustainable development.
On May 1st 2015, the comprehensive solar energy plant was opened at the Rimba Orangutan Eco Lodge, one of our five eco lodges. This was a joint activity with SEC Batteries and Solar Power Indonesia. Below are photos of the solar cell covered all the restaurant roof.